Monitoring for Learning
Learn how to use formative assessment strategies throughout the lesson as evidence of standards-based student learning. Explore how to use this data to inform instructional decisions that will decrease the number of students requiring intervention.
Effective standards-based instruction requires teachers to continuously check students’ understanding in their learning journey toward mastery of the standards. In Monitoring for Learning teachers will learn how to intentionally and systematically build monitoring into their lessons to determine if students are merely exhibiting compliant behavior or are cognitively engaged and actively learning the content.
This hands-on session give teachers techniques, tools, and resources to monitor for learning during a lesson, using assessment tasks and adapting instruction based on student evidence.
- Plan to monitor during a lesson that includes a learning target, success criteria, and a task
- Plan to use a tool to track student learning
- Design questions and performance tasks to monitor the learning
- Apply appropriate monitoring techniques to check for evidence of learning
- Devise adaptations that might be necessary based on evidence
- Establish a growth mindset in students regarding learning in the classroom
- Teacher Mentors
- Instructional/Curriculum Coaches
- Building Administrators
- Central Office Instructional/Curriculum Support
Interested in bringing this session to your school or district?