Successful standards-based planning starts with identifying the criteria for success in order to develop assessments and instruction that is tied to the standards.
Rigorous, standards-driven learning targets and performance scales help teachers identify the criteria for success and make instructional decisions that provide a solid baseline for formative assessment. In this hands-on training session, school leaders learn to provide feedback and support teachers as they design and strengthen their classroom monitoring and measuring techniques. Participants discuss ways to:
- Implement a variety of short-cycle formative assessment strategies
- Connect assessment tasks with the progression of learning embedded in a performance scale
- Track student progress in formal and informal ways
- Teach students to use goals and scales, increasing autonomy in learners
Participants deepen their understanding of different types of formative assessment and see how criteria for success drive both assessment and instruction. They also learn how to provide feedback as teachers align assessment with standards, using performance scales for formative purposes, and help students track their own progress.
- Learning Targets & Scales for Leaders training
- We recommend that teachers have also participated in Monitor & Measure
- Central Office Instructional/Curriculum Support