New Mexico is Ready for Success
Teacher Evaluation in New Mexico
It’s time to take bold efforts to ensure our children receive a quality education that will prepare them to succeed in college and the workforce.
––New Mexico Education Secretary Hanna Skandera
Governor Susana Martinez’s education initiatives have focused on supporting and training effective teachers to drive student achievement. At the Governor’s request, The New Mexico Effective Teaching Task Force originally identified nine teacher competencies, or areas of performance focus, that would be incorporated into the 3-Tier Licensure requirements for New Mexico teachers. Although Senate and House bills based on revised guidelines were tabled this year, New Mexico will be required to update teacher evaluation systems to conform to No Child Left Behind Waiver requirements. The goal is to improve teacher performance, year by year, with a corresponding rise in student achievement.
The Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model is based on 40 years of research and hundreds of in-classroom studies (including one important study in Farmington, New Mexico ).
This extensive research base for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model is one reason teachers say the framework has improved their practice. Studies on the model have shown an average 16 percentile point increase in student achievement. It’s why Putnam County School District in Florida chose the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model when they revised their evaluation system two years ago.
The New Mexico Effective Teaching Task Force took Putnam County as an example when they made their recommendations for teacher evaluation reforms.
The Task Force drew on the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model to identify ideal practices that teachers use in the classroom to raise student achievement. Governor Martinez, on the recommendation of the Task Force, has planned pilot programs for new evaluation systems to begin in the fall of 2012.
Resources and Events
- White paper: Overview of the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model for your state – PDF
- State alignment document“ PDF
- Webinars – View schedule
- Implementation and Redevelopment Services- click here for more information
- Video of Dr. Marzano on the role of research in selecting a teacher evaluation model“ Play the video
- Research Reports for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model. These reports document statistical analyses undertaken for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model, along with a discussions of potential implications for classroom teachers and school administrators.
- Annual Marzano Conference: Building Expertise: Three full days of immersion in best practices and implementation. Learn More.
- An overview of the four domains of the Marzano Causal Teacher Evaluation Model – Dr. Marzano’s four domains