Arizona Races to the Top of Teacher Evaluation
In 2010, Governor Brewer signed into law Senate Bill 1040, legislation that brought Arizona into line with Race to the Top requirements and resulted in a $25 million grant to raise student achievement in Arizona. As part of this drive, the State Board of Education adopted a model framework (Arizona Framework for Measuring Educator Effectiveness) for teacher and principal evaluation that includes quantitative data on student achievement.
School districts across Arizona are now in the process of choosing or developing a teacher evaluation model that aligns with state requirements.
The evaluation model must be valid and reliable and must include:
- Quantitative data on student academic progress
- Professional development, and
- Evaluator training
Arizona districts are required to implement their chosen evaluation models by the 2013-2014 school year.
The Marzano Causal Teacher Evaluation Model meets or exceeds Arizona state requirements. The model focuses on teaching strategies identified by research to increase student learning gains. As a result of this granular approach to evaluation, the Marzano Causal Model has demonstrated success in observer accuracy and inter-rater reliability. The model also provides effective and specific feedback to teachers, helping to improve their professional practice and directly affect student achievement. These are the reasons hundreds of school districts in all 50 states have implemented the Marzano Causal Model and the iObservation technology platform.
Resources and Events
- White paper: Overview of the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model for your state – PDF
- State alignment document PDF
- Webinars – View schedule
- Implementation and Redevelopment Services- click here for more information
- Video of Dr. Marzano on the role of research in selecting a teacher evaluation model Play the video
- Research Reports for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model. These reports document statistical analyses undertaken for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model, along with a discussions of potential implications for classroom teachers and school administrators.
- Annual Marzano Conference: Building Expertise: Three full days of immersion in best practices and implementation. Learn More.
- An overview of the four domains of the Marzano Causal Teacher Evaluation Model – Dr. Marzano’s four domains