Teacher and Leader
Evaluation in Alaska
In 1996, Alaska passed a state law governing teacher and administrator evaluation. Since then, there has been enormous growth in the education profession’s understanding of teacher evaluation. It is now clear that teacher evaluation is a means to differentiate struggling, novice, and exceptional teachers as well as support teacher growth. New instruments and tools have been made to help focus efforts toward improving the effectiveness of instruction for teachers and administrators.
Tools like the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model can help establish a quantitative measure of student learning to the districts’ systems to provide a more accurate picture of the level of effectiveness of the teachers and administrators.
This system helps meet all of the state requirements for school districts:
- Focus evaluation on the specific standards
- Consider the cultural standards in the district’s evaluation system
- Adopt a four-performance-level system
- Provide evaluation training to administrators to ensure inter-rater reliability
“Good teachers will be validated by their efforts and their students’ success. We need to acknowledge the work that they do, and we can only do that by validating quality teachers and challenging low-performing ones to improve.”
—Mike Hanley, Former Alaska Commissioner of Education and Early Development
Alaska Legislation Ensures Flexibility and Choice
According to Alaska state law, each district’s school board is responsible for the district’s evaluation system.
In April of 2013, the Marzano Teacher Evaluation model was announced as one of three evaluation systems approved by the Alaska State Board of Education & Early Development. Under this system, teachers are evaluated on a four-point scale based on multiple measures that include classroom observations, content standards, and assessments of student growth.
Resources and Events
- State Board Adopts New Regulations for Education Evaluations – PDF
- Press Release: Alaska Approves Marzano Model
- Webinars – View schedule
- Implementation and Redevelopment Services – click here for more information
- Research Reports for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model. These reports document statistical analyses undertaken for the Marzano Teacher Evaluation Model, along with discussions of potential implications for classroom teachers and school administrators.
- Annual Education Conference: Building Expertise: Three full days of immersion in best practices and implementation. Learn more.